Sunday, February 10, 2013

Stick and stones

"Stick and stone may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."  Did you ever say that as a kid?  I'm pretty sure I said it numerous times, probably to try and convince myself it was true.  Truth was though, words did hurt and they still do.  Even if words are said that have absolutely no intention of coming across as mean, sometimes, they still hurt.  For example, I took my kiddos to play at a McDonalds play place over the weekend.  Bubba had to go to the bathroom when we got there and since we were sitting right outside the bathroom doors, I sent him in alone.  It so happened that someone I know was in there and when she came out stopped to say hi.  She said to me "I thought he looked familiar, he's the only kid with the crazy hair."  We talked for a split second and she went back to her table.  Her comment was not meant as a shot at me as a mother and how I don't groom my kids well (at least I truly hope not) but, it did stick with me.  I was self conscious about my kids hair the rest of the day.  Everywhere we went, I stopped and brushed their hair down with my fingers. 
All weekend I asked God to help rid my mind of these thoughts.  I know that what truly matters is the heart; my heart and my kids hearts.  But I know that I'm not the only one who struggles with this.  I also know that I have probably been on the other end - saying something without harmful intention, but coming across as attacking. 
Has this ever happened to you?  What did you do?


No comments:

Post a Comment